Saturday, August 16, 2008

Crochet, Craft & Me.

My greatest passion of all is to be able to indulge in the process of art & craft. I couldn't really recall when it started or how it started. Maybe it happen before i really could save the memories in my brain. I only could faintly remember that i used to bring some yarn to kinder garden to make Macramé! (By the way, i am only 6 at that time!)

Being a crafter, i have an eye for details & appreciates intricate details of art work and handicraft. Making an item with intricate details is not easy, lots of time and effort being put in it. Not including the meticulous process. Most crafter would agree to say that the greatest satisfaction is to complete the item to perfection and others to appreciate your creation. Things that money couldn't buy, i would dare to say that.

Since young, most of my school holidays was devoted to my own craft 'project'. It might be something silly to me now. But at that time, imagination did run wild and anything feels possible. Teaming up with my cousin sister, we did all kind of craft project! Something that i wish i have the time to do it now, having a full time job means i have less time for it. So whatever time i have now, will be devoted to my beloved hobby.

Most crafter could not resist to see material in abundance, me included. The moment i saw some usable items or material, my mind would immediately think of what i can make with the material. This would lead to collecting some stuff that i think usable, maybe in near future. So now you know where the clutter in my room came from! ;).

I am also a great fan of recycling, many great items could be made from recycled items. It become a rubbish only when you do not have the creativity to turn it into something useful. My latest creation was turning the unused mineral bottle into flower pots. Yes, i do like plants too!

Among many crafts, my one and forever remain my favorite would be Crochet. After spending 20 years crocheting (i am not that old, i just started young only!), it still amazes me with the transformation & varieties it could offer. Imagine with a hook & yarn, you could make lots of wonderful thing. Sadly, the stereotyping still exist among most people that, crochet is for old people that have nothing better to do! Most crocheter did appreciates the legacy of vintage pattern, but is does not mean its for old lady only.

I am moving away from making vintage pattern, because i believe that younger generation need something creative and new to attract them to pick up the art of crochet. So now i started to design my own crochet pattern, specializing in Sculptural Crochet. Designing a crochet pattern is not as easy as you think. Its more to a game of plus & minuses and playing around with the stitches to create the desired shape & pattern. It takes years of practice & understanding the concept of Crochet before you could really design something. Considerations must be made for details such as size, shape and level of likeliness of the real item. There is no fast rules on this, but always experiment with different yarn, color and hook to achieve different results. Experience would only be gained from trial and error.

I have started selling my design on Ebay.com and soon in Etsy.com. This blog would be my portal for all my design and craft. Will be giving out free instructions on craft and crochet soon.

Happy crafting!




0 comments: